Karim Khan of the Zand Dynasty chose Shiraz as his capital and that changed the importance of the city drastically. The construct that were made in this time and by the order of the Just ruler was titled as Vakil since Karim Khan was known as Vakil Ol Ra’aya meaning deputy of the people. These constructs included mosque, bathhouse, bazar, water reservoir and many other similar public structures.
The Vakil mosque, one of the many constructs made in that time is located in the Darb Shazdeh neighborhood, Taleghani Street. It has a square plan about 60×60 m with a magnificent portal entrance with an inscription that mentions the name of Fath Ali Shah and Hossein Mirza of the Qajar Dynasty in a Sols Style.
The mosque has a 4-Iwan plan; the Northern Iwan has a vaulted Arch known as Tagh-e Morvarid (Pearl Arch) and adorned with Haft Rang (7color) Tiles.
The Mosque’s Shabistan or Praying Hall has 48 round twisted pillars that are carrying the domed arches of the place. Mihrab of Vakil Mosque is covered with tiles and the Menbar is made of Marble. There are also some Moaragh (Inlayed) Tile with floral patterns and Arabesque designs and numerous inscriptions that were mostly made in Qajar time.
The Vakil Bazar was later added to the Mosque having a Cross-like pattern and then the Vakil Bathhouse and Water Reservoir was added to the complex. For about 10 years, Vakil mosque was used as the congregational or Jam-e mosque of Shiraz. The magnificent mosque has been registered as a National Heritage in 1932.